Saturday, August 25, 2012

Savage - Trackable Hunter Pet (Cat)


Savage is another one of the new rare elite trackable hunter pets that we'll be seeing in Mists of Pandaria. I have a feeling this beautiful kitty will be the most highly sought after of all the rare elites. (I personally find his model and colors quite visually appealing.) He is a level 85 white & black striped tiger (cat). He patrols from the eastern side of the zone near Emperor's Omen all the way to the western side . (See map below for his exact path.)

How to track: Like the other trackable hunter pets, you will not be able to see him when he's up. He is completely stealthed. In order to locate him, you will need to find and follow his tracks - tracks that thankfully only hunters can see. Once you've found his tracks you'll need to follow them until you don't see any more. This is where I like to wait and watch where I think that he'll be walking next. Often times you'll see a new track appear right in front of you - this means you've found him!

Once you find him, the only way to see where he is, will be for him to walk through a flare. Don't throw your flare down on top of the track he just left, throw it a little further out in front of where you think he is. When he walks through your flare he will become visible. You can take this opportunity to tame, or you can throw a Hunter's Mark on him - which will keep him visible to you when he goes back into stealth. Hunter's Mark will make him visible to you, but only you when he's in stealth.



Savage's tracks are called "Bloody Tracks", and like other beasts' tracks they do not stay up indefinitely; the furthest ones behind disappear one by one as new tracks are created. His tracks are green & brown in color and only slightly darker than the ground he walks across in several areas. His tracks were one of the tougher sets for me to find, especially in the shaded areas he patrols through. If your serious about finding this pretty kitty it is absolutely crucial that you turn ground clutter on the lowest setting.

(Tracks are now facing the correct direction as of patch 5.1. You no longer need to follow them backwards.)

Savage's Path starts just north of Emperor's Omen right next to the waterfall. From that point he travels generally toward the southwest (after he makes his loop north of The Aboretum). His path ends at an overlook in The Thunderwood. From that overlook you can see Nectarbreeze Orchard. It takes him exactly 36 minutes to move from one end of the path to the other. When he reaches the end of his path, he simply turns around 180 degrees and heads back in the direction he came from.

Click map to Enlarge
Below are some screen-shots I've taken along Savage's path, starting from the north end of his path moving southwest all the way to where his path ends in the south. (All of these screenshots can be enlarged for a better visual by simply clicking on them.)

Above from left to right: Savage is heading toward the waterfall just north of Emperor's Omen. In the middle shot & the one on the right he has just turned around
Above from left to right: Savage is heading south toward The Aboretum, then heading west past The Aboretum. In the right pic he is heading north while passing the Shrine of the Dawn.
In all three of the above shots he is heading northwest toward Greenstone Quarry 
In the above screenshots Savage is heading west around and past the pond in Forest Heart
Above left to right: Savage has just crossed the road in front of the Lair of the Jade Witch. In the middle pic he is heading though the Thunderwood toward the end of his path. The final screenshot was taken at the overlook, which is the end of the path where Savage turns around.
Below is a video of me following Savage through his entire path. I started following him in this video about a minute before he turned around at the northern end of his path, and I continue following him until he turns around in the south. Like my other videos, this one has been sped up to keep the length down.

 

Here is another video of actually tracking and eventually taming him on a level 85 toon. (That's right, no flight!)



50 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Can he still be tamable??? I'm level 85 and for some reason I cant tame him. Help please

      Delete
  2. He's beautiful! He must be mine, well, my Hunter's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Tome & Pando - He really is, I'll probably be out there looking for him day #1 of MoP on my hunter. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. A must have :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to have this cat. I'm camping him now at the Omen turn around and keeping my fingers crossed. I came across his tracks a couple of times but somehow lost them. Probably the cold medicine lol. I hope to have him tonight. Thank you so much for the very informative and comprehensive strat to tame this beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey guys, just tamed him 1/10-12, followed his tracks, you have to follow the tracks behind, so go backwards compared to the tracks, and use flares when you are at the last track you can see, not on top of the track, a bit further out... Happy hunting...

    Regards
    Rofius - Draenor EU

    ReplyDelete
  7. il met cb de temps a faire son aller?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Je l'ai traquer pendant des heures, et je l'ai enfin eu!!. J'ai continué mes quetes jusqu'au mont Kun lai où j'ai vu des dizaine de tigres identiques....super deception

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tigers in Kun-Lai Summit are actually a bit darker than Savage., and I guess would be considered grey instead of white. He is indeed unique as far as I know.

      Delete
  9. Just tamed him. This guide is perfect for tracking him. I can confirm that you still need to follow the tracks backwards, and he walks fairly quickly, so don't sit around for too long in one spot. (: Happy hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had trouble following this guys tracks. I guess I should have read closer. Eventually managed to really find the end of his tracks not just where I couldn't see the next one and get the tame. I just leveled a hunter right before MoP, and I think I'm spending more time looking for rare pets than leveling or doing other stuff in game. Thank you for the maps of his path, it definitely was very helpful when I lost his track to jump ahead to another landmark and look for them again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The most detailed and easy to understand information of the whole internet. Thank you for all this effort, I really love your stuff!
    And, ah! I got him :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, and grats on your new kitty! =)

      Delete
  12. THANK YOU!!! This guide allowed me to track him on my very first attempt & I'm on a high population server so I was NOT expecting it. It is very true that Savage is actually walking in the opposite direction of his paw prints. Silly bug that Blizzard did no fix yet. I lost him because I did not know that & I was lucky enough to pick him back up on the other end of his path before another hunter found him. :) YEAH!!! My first successful hunter challenge!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just got him on terenassooooooo stoked such a good one king b! but more badass

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where did you tame him. I am on terenas as well. I have been looking for him off and on. But no luck finding even his tracks.

      Delete
  14. Thank you so much for the detailed guide Euphy, petaholics like myself appreciate all your work :)

    Having given into temptation I decided to tame Savage before hitting 90, for those of you that feel the task daunting without flying, fear not! His pathway isn't as varied or littered with mobs as Loque'nahak's was (who I also tamed without waiting to gain my wings).

    First day and purely relying on the little information a fellow hunter guildie provided me with, I found his tracks past the river and below the hill from The Lair of the Jade Witch and followed them accordingly, which, as I am aware now - led me no where.

    Second day and with more research (thanks to this amazing blog), I found his tracks just before the river where all the elite pythons were (I found their aggro range to be fairly small so getting around them was no challenge), followed them BACKWARDS up until Greenstone Masons' Quarter where I popped Flare and lo-and-behold there was my first hunter challenge target! Supremely easy tame, didn't even fight back (which is odd, a bug perhaps?).

    So another confirmation from me that his tracks need to be followed backwards and if you run the game on max settings, remember to tune down your ground clutter to low - will make your tracking so much easier.

    Good luck my fellow hunters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grats on your tame, and ty for stopping by!

      I did find Savage to be a bit buggy on beta at times. Twice I tamed him and he just stood there and waited. Seems as though that has carried over to live too then. but yeah, probably just a bug.

      Delete
  15. I just tamed the cat on Nagrand (US) with the help of my cousin. All thanks to your detailed guide and map!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Took me about an hour to find Savage because I wasnt using the flare's properly . Find her tracks and get in front of the last ones u can see and know her path keep popping flares and you will find her . I popped that last flare and freaked out when I saw her . Thanks for the help tamed her at 3am Llane Server Novermber 5 , 2012 .

    Keith

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for this guide! I was able to tame him hours ago on the absolute northern end of his path. He walked into my flare just as he turned around to head back south again. Now my 85 hunter has this handsome cat.

    One weird thing that happened, though, was that he didn't me any aggro and just carried on walking his route. I let loose a couple of shots before taming, he still wouldn't attack me. O_o

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the guide, the map alone was a big help when I lost his tracks. I can confirm that the tracks are still backwards... was slightly annoying. But he is a beautiful pet and well worth the hunt. Best of luck to anyone in search of this mighty beast.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just tamed him today and your map was a HUGE help.
    THE TRACKS POINT THE RIGHT DIRECTION NOW.
    He paths right through the arch to the Shrine of the Dawn, it's a good choke point to spot him in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reminding me, I'm pretty sure all of them have been corrected to face the right direction now. I'll update my posts to reflect the change. Grats on your tame!

      Delete
  20. Thank you, thank you! Got him this evening on my first tracking session, but boy! was that nerve-wracking! Back and forth to your map to double-check myself was crazy helpful. Tracked him to the Overlook but somehow missed him as he turned, believe it or not. I lost him again between the pond at Forest Heart and Greenstone, but had scoped out where he crosses just by the bridge past town and waited to see a print there. Perfect! He is totally gorgeous. Roxanne is retiring and Savage is going on patrol ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just got him. Your map and guide worked like a champ. Thanks much.

    I can confirm that the issue with tracks has been fixed. The directions go the right way now.

    He's now my default pet.

    ReplyDelete
  22. First i must say your work is so good, i respect it,
    because it´s take a lot of time to show every complete way
    of every single pet!
    It was a lot of help to find this beauties!
    I could tame Portent, Rockhide and Savage because of your
    videos and pics i find the tracks very fast!
    Now i will give a try to tame Patrannache and Hexapos!
    I hope my english isn´t so bad, i write not so often in other
    languages!
    Also, Keep up the good work, i like it so much!
    Have fun and greetings from germany!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have captured all four quilens and savage thanks to your guide....thankyou very much for your help....
    Sincerely, Suasponte-Misha

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just added Stompy thanks to your guide had to release a Quilens stable is full...Blizz shuld give us a little more room with so many rares....Thanks again Suasponte-Misha

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow.. As I was watching this video, I was AFK in WOW, just around the pond in Dawn's Blossom when I decided to go north while watching so I could follow the same route when I noticed a bloody track right beside me! I followed 1 more bloody track and saw no more. A flare in his path revealed him and I tamed him from the path just above his own path with no fight :o)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Whooo, got this one too, the same method :) just spamming a part of his path by the flare :) I was lucky with this one.. it took 5 minutes only for him to show on the spot :) Leo

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yay! I just got mine! The map you posted was very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Athän [Draenor]

    Caught!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi all! Just caught Savage today. He was a challenge but all in all well worth it. He's an awesome kitty. Happy hunting! Here's a helpful hint: try to find the last paw print that spawns from his traveled path....(this took a bit of time) then throw a flare just ahead of him. Throw hunters mark on him so you don't lose him and tame away. Good Luck my fellow Hunter's ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Just followed this helpful guide and found him under 5 minutes. Was AFK, came back and saw a bloody paw print, I was afraid I missed him but followed the tracks till I didn't find anymore. I used a flare found him but he disappeared so when I knew where he was put flare and frost trap, now I have him. Good luck Happy hunting.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I got lucky again and found him in only a few minutes after getting to the end of his route and setting off flairs. I wasn't expecting him to be there so soon and was surprised! Thanks again for the great information on finding him. I've been having so much fun with this! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on your tames so far! I'm glad to hear your having fun with these. Let's hope they add more trackable tames in WoD too!

      Delete
    2. I"m actualy finding it very hard to tame any of the beasts <.< Everytime I try to get one I keep geting attacked >.> Its what I get for being on a PvP server lol

      Delete
  32. So I was trying to catch him and while I was following his tracks i lost him, then when I finally caught up to him the other hunter that was following them stole him from me, so I was wondering how long his spawn time was so I could come back an other day and get him....

    ReplyDelete
  33. Tamed him! Took me about a half hour and turning down the ground clutter helped A LOT!

    ReplyDelete
  34. sighhhhhhhhhhh !!! After 3 hours tracking him and failing to tame him i got it !! It's SO hard without the hunter's mark, gotta flare-slow trap-tame from a good position, pretty much have to guess the way he is going..phew

    ReplyDelete
  35. predict his movements and use freezing trap. makes taming way, way easier. Don't bother with a slow trap.

    ReplyDelete
  36. This must be bugged. Constantly breaks the trap. I get maybe half way to taming him. Help??

    ReplyDelete
  37. Just helped my wife get hers, the tame once we got the timing down was a breeze, ( after an hour chasing and loosing him when he walked out of the tame/flare light radius. We flared i hit him with freeze trap he popped it and stood like a good kitty while wifey convinced him to be hers. Khaz-Modan 1-12-15, late prime time.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hey, excellent guide!

    Just a thing, I tracked him down (which was no easy thing!), when I found him I flared then iced him. But when I finished to tame him he juste vanished as if I had tamed him except I didn't. I had only 3 pets so there was room for him. I don't understand what has happened... Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nevermind! In fact it was just because he wasn't tamed ;)
      He resisted my tame 2/3 times before I caught him but totally worth it!
      Thanks for the guide once again!

      Delete
  39. Wow, I was so scared about trying to tame this guy, it seemed like such a huge hassle, then I said screw it, and gave it a try, I found his tracks in under 3 minutes on Tichondrius. He had just turned around at the bottom of the map, and was heading back to the top, only took me a few minutes to get him. Turn the ground clutter off, and follow them tracks! Don't be discouraged, you can find him too!

    ReplyDelete